DUI Lawyer Century City, CA
The Law Offices of Christopher Chaney: Your Century City DUI Attorney
If you have been charged with a DUI, you could face a number of penalties that can affect your daily life. This can include fines, incarceration, and limitations on your driving privileges.
The team at the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney can help. Our skilled DUI lawyers have successfully defended a wide range of DUI cases. No matter the type or severity of the charges, our attorneys will work for you.
What Is a DUI?
In California, driving under the influence applies to both alcohol and drugs. A person should not consume alcohol or take any drug that affects their ability to drive. This includes prescription medications.
It is illegal for you to operate a vehicle if you have a blood alcohol concentration of:
- 0.08% or higher if you are over 21 years old.
- 0.01% or higher if you are under 21 years old.
- 0.01% or higher at any age if you are on DUI probation.
- 0.04% or higher if you drive a vehicle that requires a commercial drivers license.
- 0.04% or higher if you are driving a passenger for hire.
There is no set legal limit for drug concentration levels.
Penalties for Driving Under the Influence
A first-time DUI is a misdemeanor offense. You can be fined up to $1,000, have your license suspended, and spend up to six months in jail.
A second and third DUI are also misdemeanor offenses, but you may face harsher penalties, including increased fines, longer suspension periods, and more jail time.
The fourth DUI offense and all subsequent offenses are classified as felonies. A DUI is also considered a felony if the driver was involved in an accident causing injury to another or a fatality. You can face severe penalties, including prison time for up to three years, license suspension for four years or permanently, and fines up to $5,000.
If you are convicted of a DUI, you will also probably need to attend DUI school.
Common DUI Defenses
If you have been charged with a DUI in Century City, it is crucial to understand the defenses that are available to you. Defense counsel’s primary objective is to cast doubt on the prosecution’s evidence and present a case that supports your innocence of the crime charged.
Some common defense strategies employed by DUI lawyers include:
- Questioning the arrest procedure: Criminal defense lawyers will scrutinize the DUI arrest procedure for irregularities. Authorities have to follow strict protocols during an arrest – any violation of these procedures, whether it is failing to read your Miranda Rights or abusing their power, could lead to the dismissal of your case.
- Casting doubt on the sobriety test: Field sobriety tests are not always reliable or accurate. Your counsel may question its execution or the interpreting officer’s training.
- Questioning breathalyzer results: Breathalyzer instruments must be correctly calibrated and maintained for accurate reading. The results could be deemed unreliable If your lawyer can prove irregular maintenance or calibration.
- Proving a wrongful stop: If the arresting officer did not have a valid reason to stop your vehicle in the first place, then the evidence collected during your arrest could potentially be suppressed.
Your DUI attorney will review the facts of your case to determine the best possible defense. They will also negotiate with the prosecutor to see if a plea deal can be reached.
Legal Process for California DUI Cases
The criminal justice system can be confusing. Understanding what to expect can help you navigate the process.
If you are arrested for a DUI, you can expect the following to occur:
- Arrest: The legal process begins when you are arrested.
- License suspension: After the arrest, if you fail or refuse a breath or blood test, you could face immediate penalties, including license suspension.
- Charges: Charges will be filed against you, and you will receive a court date.
- Arraignment: The first court appearance, known as arraignment, is when you are officially charged with a DUI and can enter a plea—guilty, not guilty, or no contest.
- Pre-trial motions: If you plead not guilty, your attorney can file pre-trial motions to suppress evidence, challenge the arrest, or request a postponement.
- Plea bargain: Prior to trial, the prosecutor may offer a plea deal. These deals involve reduced charges or penalties. Your defense attorney can negotiate on your behalf to reach an agreement.
- Trial: If no plea agreement is reached, the case will go to trial. During trial, you can present a defense and challenge the prosecution’s evidence.
- Sentencing: The court will determine your sentence if you are found guilty. This sentence could include fines, jail or prison time, community service, probation, mandatory drug and alcohol education programs, or a combination.
- Appeals: If some legal error occurred during your trial, you may be able to appeal the conviction to a higher court.
The criminal justice process can be complex and intimidating, particularly for those unfamiliar with the courtroom. However, engaging a knowledgeable and experienced Century City DUI lawyer can help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Role of a DUI Lawyer
DUI charges come with severe consequences that can significantly impact your life. The skills and knowledge of a DUI lawyer can be critical to defending against these charges or negotiating a plea deal with the prosecution.
Experienced DUI attorneys utilize their skills and knowledge of DUI laws and defenses to advocate for their clients. At the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney, we provide:
- Legal Advice. With decades of experience, our criminal defense lawyers have a wealth of knowledge regarding California criminal law. We will explain the charges against you, potential penalties, available defenses, and what you can expect during the legal process.
- Representation. Our DUI lawyers will represent your interests from your arrest through sentencing.
- Defense strategy. Our defense attorneys provide innovative legal solutions. They devise a robust and tailored defense strategy for your case, investigating and challenging the prosecution’s case against you.
- Negotiation. If necessary, your attorney can negotiate plea deals with the prosecutor, potentially reducing your sentence or charges.
Engaging a DUI lawyer allows you access to legal knowledge and representation, which can significantly alleviate the stress and confusion of facing a DUI charge.
DUI Arrest? Contact Us Today
Navigating the aftermath of a DUI arrest can be overwhelming. Yet, with the guidance of an experienced DUI lawyer in Century City, you can confront the complexities of DUI charges more confidently.
At the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney, we fight aggressively for your freedom. We will examine your case and work with you to create a defense strategy.
You do not have to fight DUI charges alone. Schedule a free consultation with our skilled criminal defense lawyers.