Comprehensive Guide to Criminal Defense Attorneys in Century City: Expertise, Strategies and Your Legal Rights
Criminal Defense Lawyer in Century City, CA
If you or a loved one were charged with a crime, you may feel stressed and overwhelmed. Criminal charges can lead to severe consequences like penalties and incarceration. It can also impact your relationships with friends and family.
Hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney can be critical to your freedom. Your attorney will advocate for your rights, craft a defense strategy, and negotiate with the prosecutor to secure the best possible outcome.
At the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney, we provide innovative legal solutions for our clients. Our criminal defense lawyers have decades of combined experience. They will put their knowledge and skills to work for you.
How Does Criminal Defense Work?
Criminal law comprises a complex system of state and federal regulations that define what behaviors are considered crimes, their penalties, and the methods for prosecuting alleged offenders.
Crimes in California are classified as misdemeanors, felonies, or wobbler offenses.
Misdemeanors are the less severe of the crimes and come with lighter penalties. A misdemeanor crime can result in fines and jail time of no greater than one year. Examples of misdemeanors include petty theft and driving under the influence.
Felonies are the most severe crimes, with potential penalties including imprisonment in a state prison or capital punishment in extreme cases. Examples of felony crimes include rape, armed robbery, and murder.
A wobbler offense is a crime that can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony. Many crimes in California are considered “wobblers.” Some examples include fraud, domestic violence, or sex crimes.
Regardless of the charges brought against you, it is crucial to understand your rights and the nuances of the criminal justice system. A criminal defense attorney in Century City can help you navigate these complexities.
What Should I Do if I am Accused of a Crime in Century City?
Being accused of a crime is a highly stressful situation. Before you find yourself overwhelmed, it is essential to note that the actions taken immediately after an accusation can significantly impact the course of your case.
If you are arrested in Century City, you should:
- Remain calm. Though difficult, remember to stay composed and cooperate with law enforcement. Attempting to resist or evade could escalate the situation and lead to more charges.
- Exercise your right to remain Silent: At the time of your arrest, you should be advised of your rights. It is essential to invoke these rights, including the right against self-incrimination. Before speaking with law enforcement or a prosecutor, you should speak with legal counsel.
- Retain a criminal defense attorney: As soon as possible, seek the assistance of a Century City criminal defense attorney.
How Can a Criminal Defense Attorney Help?
At the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney, our Century City criminal defense lawyer will provide you with a wide range of legal services.
Experienced criminal defense attorneys possess a deep understanding of the criminal law system, which they use to protect, advise, and advocate for you. Our lawyers use this knowledge to develop a solid defense strategy, understand the nuances of your case, and offer appropriate guidance.
Representation in Court
From arraignments, pretrial hearings, and plea bargains to an actual trial, our attorneys will represent you at every stage of the court process. They will present evidence, argue on your behalf, and challenge the prosecution’s theories.
Defense attorneys also handle a fair share of investigative work. In order to understand your case and craft a defense strategy, your attorney will collect evidence, scrutinize the prosecution’s case, and speak with witnesses.
Negotiating Plea Deals
Sometimes, your attorney may negotiate a plea deal for reduced charges or a lesser sentence. These negotiations require shrewdness and an intricate understanding of the law. Your attorney has to balance the scales between the evidence presented, the potential outcome at trial, and the impact that outcome could have on your life.
Qualities to Look For in a Criminal Defense Attorney
When choosing a criminal defense attorney in Century City, you should consider specific qualities to ensure you have adequate legal support. An attorney’s qualifications, experience, reputation, and communication skills can be essential during this critical time.
Important qualities in an effective criminal defense lawyer include:
- Experience. Look for an attorney who has significant experience handling criminal defense cases. Criminal law is a focused field requiring dedicated knowledge. The attorney’s track record in dealing with cases similar to yours can be invaluable.
- Reputation. A good reputation in the industry speaks volumes about the attorney’s capacity to deliver. The opinions of past clients, legal peers, and court officials can provide reliable insights into the attorney’s reputation.
- Communication Skills. Your attorney should be able to communicate effectively. They should be able to explain complex legal procedures understandably and keep you updated on the progress of your case.
- Empathy. An excellent criminal defense attorney should be empathetic to your situation, offering legal and emotional support during stressful times.
- Availability. The attorney you choose should have the time to dedicate to your case. Their presence and active involvement can significantly affect the outcome.
At the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney, our team of criminal defense attorneys has decades of experience. We provide innovative legal solutions. If you were charged with a crime, let us help.
Facing Criminal Charges? Contact Us Today
Being charged with a crime can be stressful. You do not need to fight for your freedom alone. The seasoned criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney are on your side.
From misdemeanor drug offenses to accusations of murder, we will advocate for your rights. Our tri-lingual team can communicate fluently in Russian, Spanish, and English, providing personalized service.
Contact us 24/7 at (818) 452-3090 or schedule a free consultation here.