Green Card Lawyer, Los Angeles
Immigration is a complicated process. If you want a skilled green card lawyer in Los Angeles, contact the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney. Schedule a consultation today!
Los Angeles Green Card Attorney
Securing a green card is an essential part of the US immigration process. This is because it grants you the legal status and right to live and work in the United States permanently. There are several benefits attached to green card ownership or lawful permanent residency.
For instance, being a green card holder makes you eligible for government educational aid and other social benefits. You can also travel internationally freely and without restrictions. More importantly, becoming a green card holder sets you on the path to US citizenship, which you can achieve within a few years.
Green cards are issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to those who are eligible and who have satisfied the necessary immigration law requirements. However, prospective green card applicants who may otherwise be eligible are often discouraged from applying due to the complex application procedure and constantly changing immigration regulations.
If you’re struggling to begin the green card application process, or you’ve applied before and faced several denials, it is time to change your approach. Getting professional help from a skilled immigration lawyer might be the factor that could swing the odds of success in your favor.
Immigration lawyers are familiar with the relevant immigration laws and requirements. They can assist you in the green card application process and help you find legal solutions when your application has been denied.
It is usually better to work with an immigration attorney close to you or your desired location if you’re outside the US. So, if you’re in Los Angeles, CA, or want to move there when your application is successful, a Los Angeles green card attorney or immigration law firm would likely serve your purposes better.
Read on to learn more about the green card application process and specific ways LA green card attorneys can help you reach your immigration goals.
Who Is Eligible for a US Green Card?
US green cards are only available to those within one of the designated eligibility categories. They include the following:
Family-Based Green Cards
Under US immigration law, you are eligible for a green card if you’re an immediate relative of a US citizen, such as a spouse, underage child, or parent (if the US citizen is over 21).
You also qualify for a family-based green card if you are related to a US citizen or permanent resident and you fall within one of the family-based preference categories.
Employment-Based Green Cards
Foreign nationals can become green card holders through employment in the US. if they have a valid job offer from a US employer or otherwise qualify under the designated employee-based preference categories. The preference categories include:
- First preference (EB-1) – Priority Workers: This category includes non-citizens with extraordinary abilities in science, art, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors and researchers; or certain multinational managers and executives.
- Second Preference (EB-2): This category includes foreign nationals with exceptional ability who are members of professions that require advanced degrees.
- Third Preference (EB-3): This category includes skilled workers and professionals.
- Fourth Preference (EB-4): This category includes special immigrants such as religious workers, special immigrant juveniles, members of the U.S. armed forces, and broadcasters.
- Fifth Preference (EB-5): This category consists of those who have invested or are in the process of investing $1,050000 in a new business or $800 000 in a targeted employment sector or infrastructural project.
Other Green Card Eligibility Categories
Although the above green card eligibility categories are the most common, there are other pathways through which immigrants can obtain a green card. You are eligible for green cards under these categories if you qualify as;
- An asylee or refugee
- A human trafficking and crime victim
- Victim of domestic abuse under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
- A lottery winner under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.
Determining your eligibility under any green card category is the first step toward obtaining a green card. If you’re unsure of your status, you can consult a skilled immigration lawyer to assess your qualifications.
The Green Card Application Process
The procedure for obtaining a green card varies depending on several factors, including the applicant’s location, whether they are applying from within or outside the US, and their green card category.
For example, green card applicants who gained entry into the US via a temporary or non-immigrant visa would need to go through a process called adjustment of status before they can get their green cards. In contrast, those applying from outside the US would need to go through consular processing at the US consulate or embassy in their home country.
There are other variables that could influence the green card application process, the documents you will need to submit during the application process, and the time it takes for your application to be processed. You can contact your immigration lawyer to clarify the application procedure and requirements for your case.
What Green Card Attorneys Do
Green card attorneys are immigration attorneys who can help you throughout the green card application process. The Law Offices of Christopher Chaney provide the following services:
- We can help you determine your eligibility for a green card under any of the green card eligibility categories. If you’re not eligible, our attorneys will advise you on other immigration options to help you enter, live, work, or study in the United States.
- We can guide you through the complicated green card application process, help complete immigration forms, and ensure your documents are in order. This could help you avoid application delays and denials due to incomplete documentation.
- With our knowledge of the USCIS and consular requirements, we can help you prepare for your immigrant visa interview to increase your chances of success.
- If your application is denied, your green card attorney might be able to get the immigration authorities to review your application and revise the previous decision.
Even though the outcome of US immigration processes is never certain, working with a skilled green card lawyer might be all that you need to tip the scales in your favor.
The Law Offices of Christopher Chaney: Your Los Angeles Green Card Attorney
If you have further questions about the green card application process, we can help at the Law Offices of Christopher Chaney.
We offer a range of immigration law services to clients seeking temporary work visas, green cards, or any other immigration-related document. We can address any concerns you might have about the process and represent you if necessary. Contact our Los Angeles immigration lawyer today for personalized legal advice and support as you strive to become a lawful permanent resident in the US.